Recipe by Simply Chris
This is a really great pie that has become a Thanksgiving regular. Recipe is from Cooking Light Nov 1998. I am lazy so I use a purchased pie crust and then just make the fillings. Time does not include 4 hours chill time.
Top Review by sweetcakes
This pie was really good! I didn't bother to use anything fat-free since it wouldn't have saved me many calories, but this was still a nice lighter version of banana cream pie regardless. We really enjoyed this, thanks for posting!
- 1 (9 inch) pastry crust
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon stick margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces block-style fat free cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sliced ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- chocolate curls (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare and bake Pastry Crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar, cocoa, and dash of salt in a small, heavy saucepan; gradually add 1/3 cup milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir in chocolate; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Spread chocolate mixture into bottom of prepared crust.
- Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, eggs, 1 cup milk, and margarine in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook 30 seconds or until thick. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Beat cream cheese until light (about 30 seconds). Add 1/4 cup hot custard to cream cheese, and beat just until blended. Stir in remaining custard.
- Arrange banana slices on top of chocolate layer; spoon custard over bananas. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; chill 4 hours. Remove plastic wrap. Spread whipped topping evenly over custard. Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired. Chill until ready to serve.