Prep 7 hrs
Cook 0 mins
For The Crust
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer cookies, crushed
For Chocolate Ganache
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 bananas, ripe
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla Pastry Cream: In a heavy medium saucepan, bring half and half to a a simmer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar, eggs, egg yolk and flour in medium bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in hot half and half.
- Transfer to saucepan.
- Whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil (about 5 minutes).
- Boil 1 minute.
- Pour into a medium bowl.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Press plastic unto surface of cream.
- Cover; chill until cold (about 4 hours).
- For The Crust: Butter 9-inch glass pie dish.
- In a heavy, small saucepan stir butter and chocolate over low heat.
- Mix in cookie crumbs.
- Press unto bottom and sides.
- Chill until firm (about 30 minutes).
- For Chocolate Ganache: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat butter and cream until hot, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate and vanilla.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the ganache in a small bowl at room temperature (to be used as garnish).
- Pour remaining ganache over crust.
- Chill crust until chocolate ganache is firm (about 30 minutes).
- Assembly: Thinly slice 3 bananas.
- Arrange banana slices over chocolate.
- Whisk Vanilla Pastry Cream until smooth.
- Spread pastry cream evenly over bananas.
- Drizzle reserved chocolate ganache over pastry cream.
- Draw toothpick through pastry cream and chocolate to marbleize.
- Refrigerate until pastry cream is set (at least 3 hours and up to one day).
- Vanilla Whipped Cream: In a medium bowl, beat cream, powders sugar and vanilla extract until peaks form.
- Can be made 4 hours ahead.
- Spoon vanilla whipped cream around edges of pie or decoratively pipe cream with pastry bag.
- Slice remaining banana.
- Garnish pie with banana slices.
This goes into my keeper file. I love it! The crust is just like Dairy Queen Treetza Pizza crust, believe it or not. The layered effect looks good and tastes great. I would use the chocolate ganache and vanilla pastry cream recipes on their own for other recipes, they are that good.
Oh boy. This pie is MORE than heavenly. I made this for my sister's rehearsal dinner, and people were begging for more. I made 4 desserts, and this one definitely was the biggest hit. People wanted more pie, but there just wasnt enough!! It is SO good. It is a shame that it cannot be saved, because Id like to make 2 at one time and save it for the next day hahaha.. but that just doesnt work.... 1) it wont last more than a few minutes without a crowd eating it all up, and 2) the bananas will go rotten :( This is so fabulous... delcious.. absolutely incredible! The directions are very easy to follow. Thanks for the recipe; it is one for my perm. file - thats for sure!