Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Woman's Day.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, halved, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Stir in apples, 1/4 cup brown sugar and butter. Cook for 5 minutes or until apples are carmelized. Cool.
- Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup brown sugar and egg on medium speed for one minute or until smooth, light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Put the last of the brown sugar and the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Divide mixture evenly among muffin cups. Top with 1 Tbsp apples, 1 heaping Tbsp cream cheese mixture, and then the remaining apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cream cheese has puffed and set.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.