Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My Aunt said her neighbor's son used to come off the school bus and see his mother and yell "Are we having cherry chicken tonight?" I think it's a kid pleaser! Time includes marinating.
- 6 chicken breasts, split
- 3⁄4 cup Italian dressing
- 1⁄2 cup red currant jelly
- 1⁄2 cup frozen orange juice, from concentrate, undiluted
- 1 (1 lb) can bing cherry, black and pitted, drained
- Marinate chicken in Italian dressing 2-4 hours and drain, reserving the marinade.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking pan, skin side up and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 degrees, basting occasionally early on, until brown.
- Melt the jelly in a saucepan over low heat and blend in the orange juice concentrate and cherries. Pour the sauce over the chicken in the baking dish and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice.
Might be better titled Orange Chicken as the OJ overpowered the cherries. My husband liked it but I am not a fan of citrus. The sauce was watery..maybe add some cornstarch to thinken sauce next time?