Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My whole family enjoys this easy dish. I make it often with cornbread on the side.
Make and share this Black Beans, Sausage and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon creole seasoning (I use Tony’s Chachere’s Original Creole seasoning)
- 1 (10 ounce) canrotel diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice, not instant
- In a large family skillet with lid, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add onion, green onion and garlic; sauté until soft.
- Add sausage and Creole seasoning.
- Once sausage is slightly brown, add Rotel and black beans.
- Stir until just combined.
- Pour chicken broth into measuring cup and add water to measure 2 cups.
- Add 1-cup rice and broth, water mixture to skillet.
- Stir until combined.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook until rice is cooked through and mixture is thickened slightly.
I made this last night for supper and it was terrific! We had worked out all afternoon in the yard and I needed something fast and able to utilize what I had on hand. Today is Thanksgiving and there was no way I was going to the store last night! I used one cup of salsa and 2 cups of water. Used one teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and one teaspoon garlic, one-half teaspoon salt. No green onions in the fridge. The only step I did differently was to wait until the end to add the black beans. We ate it with a simple green salad on the side. It was quite filling! Daydasa, thank you for sharing your recipe! I will be making often!
Easy and delicious!
This recipe was great, very easy and quick to make. I tweaked by using already cooked brown rice, and shrimp instead of sausage. This recipe would be easy to add a lot of variations depending on what I have on hand. Thanks!