Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 mins
Cook 23 mins
An unusually good recipe! Originally on the tasteofcuba.com web site but have taken the liberty of tweaking a bit here and there.
- 1⁄4 cup chorizo sausage, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mango, chopped
- Cook chorizo, red bell pepper and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, till sausage is browned.
- Add next 5 ingredients; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cook and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- To serve, spoon bean mixture over rice in serving bowls, then top with fresh mango.
- If desired, garnish with fresh oregano.
- *If chorizo is unavailable, use any other spicy sausage.
This was one of my favorite meals that we've made from Recipezaar recipes. We did make some changes. We used about 10" of Conecuh sausage instead of chorizo. We diced it so that it was nice and small. We used a whole mango. We did not use oregano or a bay leaf. Instead, we used 1t of coriander. The best part is that we used coconut milk in place of water (a whole can). We mixed everything as directed (sans crushed red pepper), but added the black beans to the rice so that it made a bed of rice and black beans to smother with the sauce. It was sooooooooooo good. I can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow.
All I could taste was oregano. it overpowered the whole dish. Will not make again :-(