Recipe by stephanierndos
This is a variation on a black bean dish I found in Cooking Light Magazine. I have substituted some of the spices according to my family's tastes and my food allergies. This version is really fantastic!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro, fresh
- lime zest, of 1 lime
- lime juice, of 1 lime
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup hot cooked long-grain rice or 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add water and next 11 ingredients (through beans); bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Place 1/4 cup rice on each of 4 plates; top with 1/2 cup bean mixture.
- Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- (serving size: 1/4 cup rice, 1/2 cup bean mixture, and 1 tablespoon cheese).