This is a variation on a black bean dish I found in Cooking Light Magazine. I have substituted some of the spices according to my family's tastes and my food allergies. This version is really fantastic!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, fresh
- lime zest, of 1 lime
- lime juice, of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup hot cooked long-grain rice or 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- 4Add water and next 11 ingredients (through beans); bring to a boil.
- 5Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 6Place 1/4 cup rice on each of 4 plates; top with 1/2 cup bean mixture.
- 7Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- 8(serving size: 1/4 cup rice, 1/2 cup bean mixture, and 1 tablespoon cheese).
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Beans & Rice With Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.0
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 302.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat cheddar cheese