Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I played around with this one, which was originally from Pillsbury. My family likes it, and so do I.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro (garnish)
- Add oil to a large skillet; heat over medium-high until it gets hot.
- Add rice, cumin, and chili powder; stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the next 8 ingredients to the skillet; stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil; lower the heat, cover and simmer 15-18 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender; stir every now and then.
- Take the skillet from the heat; removed cover and fluff the mixture with a fork.
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let set for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with a little chopped fresh cilantro for garnish.
This was a very tasty, one pot meal that was perfect for a weeknight dinner. The combination of ingredients worked well together and everyone enjoyed it. Very colorful too, from all the bell peppers.
This was good and really easy to whip up. Didn't have bell peppers on and. Tossed in half a bag of frozen corn instead of the peppers. Also tossed in a can of diced tomatoes, and skipped the cheese for a healthier dinner. This was good and worked really well for everyone including kids.
The kids loved it. It was easy and a great use of leftover chicken. I used converted rice, it keeps its texture better than white rice in dishes like this.