Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A healthy, hearty, crockpot-friendly recipe for a tasty black bean & turkey polska kielbasa combination. Serve alone or over brown rice for a complete protein. Easy on the waistline & checkbook. My kids like it -I go easy on the cayenne pepper for them. From Once-A-Month Cooking cookbook.
- 1 lb polska turkey kielbasa, cut into pieces
- 45 ounces black beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 5 bay leaves
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- brown rice, cooked
- Combine all ingred, except rice, in slow cooker. (You can use dried black beans, but you need to presoak them the night before & cook them per package directions first.).
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
- Recipe may be put into gallon-size freezer bags & frozen to serve later.