Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful black bean dish. My husband and I enjoy this, especially when it's cold out. This is also good for you! Serve with chips and salsa for a complete meal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium onion)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (1 large)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
- While brown rice is cooking heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- lAdd garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add water and next 7 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Place 1/4 to 1/2 cup rice in bowls and top with bean mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tbsp cheese.
I loved this recipe! I'm a big bean and rice fan, and this really hit the spot. I didn't have a bell pepper, so I left that out. I did add some sliced jalepanos to it for some extra spice. I topped the rice and beans with tortilla chips, low fat sour cream, and reduced-fat cheddar. I will be making this again!
I just loved this!! I have a great recipe for a black beans/brown rice burrito (from this site) but was looking for something a little different tonight! I used black beans from Basic Black Beans, so I didn't use the seasonings for this recipe, or the green pepper. I mixed some chopped mushrooms into the rice & added salsa, cumin & chili powder--before topping it with the beans. I loved the cheese on top. I also served it with some baked tortilla chips & fat free sour cream; good idea Lingering_Dream! Thanks so much for sharing!!