Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe I made today that is from Taste of Home Guilt Free Cooking cookbook. One serving (1 cup bean mixture with 1/2 cup rice).
- 1 lb dried black beans, rinsed
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup fully cooked lean ham, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin (I used only 1/2 tsp)
- 1 teaspoon salt (I omitted it)
- 1 bay leaf (I forgot)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke (I used it cause I like the taste it gives) (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth (I used reduced sodium and fat)
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (I omitted it)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (I omitted it)
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, chopped
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until softened (I waited 4 hours). Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Return beans to the pan. Add 7 cups water, ham, garlic, pepper, cumin, salt, bay leaf and liquid smoke if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring broth an drice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Just before serving, discard bay leaf from bean mixture; add vinegar and oil (I don't know if it's supposed to be that way, but I had a lot of liquid and didn't see why I would add vinegar and oil.) Serve over rice. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese, 1 tablespoon red pepper and 1 teaspoon jalapenos.
i used canned beans which came to 1 cup drained, and 1/2 cup rice .next time i would make them even . i tried to cook in rice cooker but that didnt work. it was to heavy rats . i added the bay leaf and 1/4 c corn frozen,it was great i tried it with some vinegar i liked it both ways no oil though . i used jarred garlic , make this its wonderful