Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I saw this prepared on Simply Delicioso with Ingrid Hoffman, "Miami Nights" episode. Delicious and filling! This prepares a lot, so you'll want to use a big pot - I like to use my 5-quart (sorry, international 'Zaar friends, I don't know why we still use that type of measurement). Sometimes I add a little bit of pepperjack cheese just before serving, which gives it an extra little "kick" in flavor!
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 473.18 ml long-grain white rice
- 4 (1587.57 g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (793.78 g) candiced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 473.18 ml water
- 59.14 ml apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Saute the onions, green bell peppers, garlic, bay leaves, and cumin in the olive oil over medium heat, until the veggies are tender, but still crisp.
- Add rice, black beans, tomatoes, water, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, switch to low and cover.
- Cook for about 40 minutes, or until rice is ready.
I thought these were delicious! I cut the recipe in half. Instead of canned beans I soaked dried beans over night. I had to add about a cup more of water. I also chopped a couple of jalapeno peppers and added them to the pot. It had a nice kick to it. I did not find the taste vinegary at all and in fact added red wine vinegar to my portion. Thanks for sharing.
OK, so I'm a bit colorblind - red kidney beans instead of black and poblano pepper instead of green pepper. But nevertheless, it was super tasty! Will be making this again, maybe with the right colors!! made for Culinary Quest 2014
Delicious rice! Knew we would like as it has bay leaf and apple cider vinegar in it, nice flavor combination, not too spicy. Served with http://www.food.com/recipe/corvina-a-la-chorillana-peruvian-fish-in-spicy-tomato-sauce-454713 by Chocolatl. Thanks for sharing. Made for Culinary Quest 2014.