Recipe by Starrynews
I saw this prepared on Simply Delicioso with Ingrid Hoffman, "Miami Nights" episode. Delicious and filling! This prepares a lot, so you'll want to use a big pot - I like to use my 5-quart (sorry, international 'Zaar friends, I don't know why we still use that type of measurement). Sometimes I add a little bit of pepperjack cheese just before serving, which gives it an extra little "kick" in flavor!
Top Review by GibbyLou
I thought these were delicious! I cut the recipe in half. Instead of canned beans I soaked dried beans over night. I had to add about a cup more of water. I also chopped a couple of jalapeno peppers and added them to the pot. It had a nice kick to it. I did not find the taste vinegary at all and in fact added red wine vinegar to my portion. Thanks for sharing.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onions, green bell peppers, garlic, bay leaves, and cumin in the olive oil over medium heat, until the veggies are tender, but still crisp.
- Add rice, black beans, tomatoes, water, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, switch to low and cover.
- Cook for about 40 minutes, or until rice is ready.