Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from the Culinary Cafe
- 1 1⁄2 lbs dried black turtle beans
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 4 onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch clove, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 lb lean bulk pork sausage
- 1 lb pork, boneless cubed
- 1 lb stew beef chunk
- 1⁄2 lb ham, smoked (1/2
- 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked link sausage, cut into 1" to 2" lengths
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Beans: Wash and look for gravel then soak overnight in a bowl being sure beans are well covered with water.
- For cooking use a large crock pot. Meats: First, brown bulk sausage in a skillet and pour off excess grease. Add other meats and stir to brown.
- Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, celery, and spice s.
- Salt and pepper moderately, taste after cooking several hours and add more if needed.
- Add beans and soak water.
- If necessary add more water to cover entire ingredients by at least two inches.
- Stir in four bouillon cubes.
- Cover and cook on crock pot high for three hours then turn to low for at least six hours.
- If you enjoy hot and spicy foods add the hot pepper (jalapeno, habanero or whatever you like) and Tabasco.
- If you don't like it hot, then leave them out or serve the Tabasco at the table. Serve beans and meat over rice. I have found brown rice to be quite tasty but white rice is fine too.
- Serve in a soup bowl and top with fresh chopped onion.
I didn't follow the recipe because I didn't have the ingredients. However, I did use it as a guideline and when I have all the ingredients I will try it, well, at least a little closer to the recipe. It was great