Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Diabetes control for life website.
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice, cooked
- 4 fluid ounces low-sodium low-fat vegetable broth
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 yellow onion
- 1⁄4 medium red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup reduced sodium black beans, canned
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon nonfat sour cream
- Cook rice according to package directions, substituting vegetable broth for 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of the water.
- Wash and peel garlic and onion; wash bell pepper and remove membrane.
- Mince garlic, chop onion, and chop bell pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and bell pepper and saute´ until tender.
- Add drained beans, cumin, oregano, 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper, and 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to prevent sticking.
- Stir and continue to cook until beans are heated through.
- Serve bean mixture over cooked rice topped with cheese and sour cream.