1/2 Photos of Black Beans and Rice
A recipe from my college days, adapted from a friend. It's very quick and made with inexpensive ingredients that most people will have on hand. This will make a filling, nutritious, low-fat dinner for 2 people if served with a green salad. If you have leftovers, an easy way to save them is to mix the beans and rice together before refrigerating. This mixture is awesome spread and
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 can black beans (and liquid)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- black pepper
- your favorite hot sauce
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional) or 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1Start the water boiling in a fairly large pot; add the fat (if desired).
- 2When it boils, add the rice.
- 3Stir for the first minute, then cover and turn the heat as low as possible.
- 4Rice should only cook for 20 minutes; you'll get perfect white rice every time by following a 2:1 rice-water ratio and following these directions.
- 5Heat a saucepan slightly, then add oil and heat that briefly as well (this prevents sticking).
- 6Saute the onion until aromatic, then add garlic; don't brown.
- 7Turn the heat down to medium low.
- 8Dump the whole can of beans in.
- 9Add the vinegar, spices and chopped tomato, stir, and let simmer, covered.
- 10When rice is done (20 minutes), remove from heat.
- 11Serve beans over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 533.8
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 434.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.1 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: