1/1 Photo of Black Beans and Rice
Vino Girl's Note:
There's a lot of beans and rice recipes already here, but it seems I can't get enough of them. This one comes from Real Simple magazine, and it's different than the types I normally make since it doesn't have tomatoes, and it is also a mild-flavored dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided (or to taste, I don't use it since the beans and broth are salty enough)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups green bell peppers or 1 1/2 cups red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste, I use more)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup scallion, sliced
- 1Combine water with 1 tsp salt and 1 1/2 tsp olive oil in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
- 2Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- 3In a large saucepan, heat the rest of the olive oil over medium heat; saute onion, bell pepper and garlic about 5 minutes or until softened.
- 4Add beans, broth, vinegar, bay leaves, black pepper, cumin, and the rest of the salt; cover and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes; remove bay leaves.
- 6Serve beans over the rice and top with scallions.
- 7Serves 4 as a main dish, 6-8 as a side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 649.6
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 891.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 118.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 21.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: