Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My favorite version. The rum and orange juice tweak the flavor just right. I prefer it with brown rather than white rice.
- cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 sweet green peppers or 2 sweet red peppers, seeded & diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 cups cooked rice
- chopped onion
- chopped celery
- chopped tomato
- chopped hot green chili peppers or chopped jalapeno pepper
- lemon wedge
- orange wedge
- banana, sliced
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream or yogurt
- Spray and heat large heavy saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add pepper and garlic and sauté 3 more minutes.
- Add beans through oregano and simmer 8 minutes, adding water if it gets too dry and starts to stick.
- Mix 1 cup of bean mixture with rum and mash to a paste with a fork or in the blender or food processor.
- Add paste back into the pot, cover and simmer over low heat 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
- Offer onion through sour cream, each served in its own small dish, as condiments.
I love meatless meals and frequently enjoy having beans and rice for lunch. Despite the longish list of ingredients, most of which are topping ideas, this was very easy to assemble and the results were delicious. In contrast to my usual spicy selections these were mild with a soft fruity accent. Enjoyed mine with lime slices, soy sour cream and a side of plantanos.
I used red bean along with black beans. Can diced tomatoes. The lemon and orange juice gave this dish a nice brightness. The blending of the 1 cup gave it a nice creaminess. Used 1 green and 1 yellow pepper. Served over Lundberg Wehant Brown rice just yummy! This is so very healthy and I did skip the fat completely using a touch of water in the pan to saute the onions and peppers. No added fat! Oh except for the touch in the cheese that topped the dish. Thanks!
This was wonderful, I increased the fresh garlic to 2 tablespoons, also increased the oregano and lemon juice, and added in 2 teaspoons dried chili flakes and also added in a small diced jalapeno pepper (we like extreme heat lol!) also I sauteed the onions, bell peppers and garlic in olive oil firstly. This is a very tasty bean and rice dish, thanks echo!...Kitten:)