1/3 Photos of Black Beans and Rice
echo echo's Note:
My favorite version. The rum and orange juice tweak the flavor just right. I prefer it with brown rather than white rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 sweet green peppers or 2 sweet red peppers, seeded & diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1Spray and heat large heavy saucepan over medium low heat.
- 2Add onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- 3Add pepper and garlic and sauté 3 more minutes.
- 4Add beans through oregano and simmer 8 minutes, adding water if it gets too dry and starts to stick.
- 5Mix 1 cup of bean mixture with rum and mash to a paste with a fork or in the blender or food processor.
- 6Add paste back into the pot, cover and simmer over low heat 20 minutes.
- 7Serve over rice.
- 8Offer onion through sour cream, each served in its own small dish, as condiments.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.8
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 16.4 g