Prep 40 mins
Cook 7 mins
A quick, easy, no-meat dish that has become a favorite busy-night meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Add the oil to a saucepan and let get heated over medium heat.
- Add in onion; increase heat to high and stir/saute onion for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add in the wine, garlic, and oregano; stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain one can of beans and add to saucepan; add in the other can of beans undrained; stir to combine.
- Cover pan and lower heat to medium; let cook while you are making the polenta; uncover and stir occasionally and season to taste with salt/pepper if needed.
- Add the vegetable broth and rosemary to a soup pot; cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Uncover and lower heat to medium.
- While whisking constantly, slowly and gradually add the cornmeal to the boiling broth.
- Continue whisking for 2-3 minuutes or until the mixture is a porridgelike consistency.
- Take polenta off burner and add in the cheese and margarine; stir to combine; season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Spoon polenta into individiual serving bowls; top with beans.
- Serve warm.
Loved this! Super easy with lots of flavor. I used homemade vegetable stock from the freezer, fresh garlic, and polenta instead of cornmeal. Did cheat and use parmesan from the green can, but fresh grated would have been even better. Made a lovely dinner with a green salad. Thanks for sharing the recipe!