Prep 12 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this from a Taste of Home recipe that was actually for chili. It looked good, but it took a lot of time to prepare. I had black beans on hand and not a lot of time, so I revised it and came up with this quick and simple meal. My husband loved it!
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder, season to your taste
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- cooked rice
- Drain and rinse beans. Place in pan. Add the garlic salt, Worcestershire and the chili powder; set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the kielbasa until lightly browned. Remove and add to the bean mixture. Sauté the onion and garlic in drippings until tender; add the bean mixture back into the skillet. Stir in tomato sauce.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, salt and pepper. Serve over hot cooked rice. You can cook your rice while your bean mixture is simmering.
This was a great alternative to chili. I put in 8 oz. can of tomato sauce and a 15 oz. can of drained and diced tomatoes instead of 15 oz. of tomato sauce. I didn't add the salt and thought it was still a little salty. Maybe garlic powder instead of garlic salt next time. Very good! Thank you Laurie!
I love skillet meals! This had great flavor and went very well with rice. Because of the reviews and the fact that kielbasa tends to be salty, I didn't add any salt and used garlic powder instead. I also bought kielbasa with cheddar cheese by accident so maybe that added extra saltiness too! This will definitely be on my "make again" list! Thanks sister :)
I'll be brutally honest. I wasn't too excited about making this dish, but the cupboards were getting bare and we happened to have all the ingredients. I made the recipe as stated, with the exception of using a crock pot. After a couple of hours, the kitchen started smelling really good. When it was time to eat, the meal tasted superb. I only needed to add a few drops of hot sauce on mine because I like a bit of a kick. Thank you, LaurieL, for posting this. I've put this one in my file.