Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
got a similar recipe in my email, it reads : "Quick-cooking barley replaces rice in this classic Caribbean combo. Barley is rich in soluble fiber and makes a good whole-grain choice because it is digested slowly, leaving you feeling satisfied longer." as a barley lover i had to try it, and add my own ingredients.i used fresh grown peppers ,tomatoes,and a handful of fresh oregano and basil. enjoy!
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano or 3 teaspoons fresh oregano, to taste
- 15 1⁄2-19 ounces canned black beans, rinsed,drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons basil (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is barely tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add broth, barley and oregano, increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the barley is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in beans and tomatoes and heat through.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with cilantro or basil (if using) just before serving.
Love barley but I haven't run across the quick-cooking type yet so I just adjusted accordingly and thoroughly enjoyed it combined with black beans. Easy, easy, easy.
This dish turned out very plain for me. It needed a little more kick, maybe some extra cumin and black pepper.
Very tasty dish. I realized that my barley was not the quick cook variety. I cooked the veggies added the chicken broth and barley. Cooked the barley for 40 minutes then added the rinsed beans and cooked an additional 10 minutes. Served this with Sue L's Green, White, and Red Enchiladas (#92448) along with a side salad. Thanks for posting.