Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Refreshing Caribbean Dish that is quick and easy! Great for lunch or as a side dish to accompany Jerk Chicken. Pair with a fruity and berry filled Australian Shiraz! Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 2⁄3 cups drained and rinsed canned black beans (from one 15-ounce can)
- 1⁄3 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vermouth (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 lime, quartered, for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, turmeric, cumin, 3/4 teaspoons of the salt, black pepper, and rice.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Add water and bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is done.
- Remove bay leaf.
- In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine rice, beans, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar, vermouth (if using)and parsley.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Serve with lime wedges, if using.
We loved this recipe and found it to be just about perfect. I served with Jamaican Jerk Pork and Grilled Pineapple Salsa Three Ways which allowed this to work as a perfect accompaniment. It didn't have heat so it worked well with the pork and the sweetness of the pineapple salsa worked very well with the mild rice and bean flavor (cause you know we were mixing all three together to make them all taste their best). We did squeeze the lime on top for serving and I highly recommend that. This is a great dish we will use again and again for sure.
I love the mild spiciness of the rice, and the fresh juiciness of the tomato and peppers. Didn't have any parsley, so I added about 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes with the other spices. Also greatly reduced the salt. I'd like to add this is great at room temperature for my school lunches!!
This was a pretty tasty dish, my kids weren't to into it but at 5 and 3 you can't ask for too much. It would be awesome with Tacos or add in some chicken and serve over chips. Thanks for sharing such a great easy recipe.