Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Bon Appetit
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces onions, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 4 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, well drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes with garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth (the Knorr jelly packs in the box are really good)
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and cumin seeds; sauté until onion is soft and golden, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add chipotle chilies and stir 30 seconds.
- Add black beans, diced tomatoes with juices, and vegetable broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups chili to processor. Blend to coarse paste; return to pot. Simmer chili to thicken, if desired. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Rewarm over medium-low heat before serving.).