1/1 Photo of Black Bean Vegetable Soup
1 hr 5 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
I have just developed this very healthy soup that is low in fat and sodium, no cholesterol and low Fat/Cal %.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml dried black beans
- 32 fluid ounce vegetable broth or 32 fluid ounce chicken broth, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 4 clove garlic, chopped small
- 473.18 ml water
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1/2 inch
- 15 fluid ounce canned plum tomatoes, crushed and include liquid (no salt)
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 3.69 ml ground cumin
- 236.59 ml fresh green beans, cut into 3/4 inch lengths
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed and coarsley shredded
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 1.23 ml Tabasco sauce or 1.23 ml red hot sauce
- 4 large green onions, chopped small
- 1Soak black beans in water overnight.
- 2The next day, drain and rinse before using.
- 3In a large saucepan or heavy bottom cooking pot, add 1/2 cup of broth, chopped onion and chopped garlic and bring to boil.
- 4Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- 5or until onions are jnst tender.
- 6Stir in black beans; add 2 cups water, diced potato, crushed plum tomatoes including liquid, thyme, cumin, green beans, and remaining broth; return to boil.
- 7Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 8Add shredded carrots, green and red peppers, chopped celery, Tabasco sauce and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- 9Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 10Garnish each serving with chopped green onions.
- 11Refrigerate any unused portion.
- 12You may wish to add some low-sodium soy sauce to the soup, use about 2 tablespoons, however it will increase the sodium count.
- 13You can also use canned black beans to speed up the process.
- 14Use 2- 15 fluid ounce cans, drained and rinsed.
- 15Cauliflower florets would also enhance the soup, use about 1 cup of florets.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.4
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 55.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: