Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I have just developed this very healthy soup that is low in fat and sodium, no cholesterol and low Fat/Cal %.
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 32 fluid ounces vegetable broth or 32 fluid ounces chicken broth, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped small
- 2 cups water
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1/2 inch
- 14 1⁄2 fluid ounces canned plum tomatoes, crushed and include liquid (no salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 3/4 inch lengths
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed and coarsley shredded
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon red hot sauce
- 4 large green onions, chopped small
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak black beans in water overnight.
- The next day, drain and rinse before using.
- In a large saucepan or heavy bottom cooking pot, add 1/2 cup of broth, chopped onion and chopped garlic and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- or until onions are jnst tender.
- Stir in black beans; add 2 cups water, diced potato, crushed plum tomatoes including liquid, thyme, cumin, green beans, and remaining broth; return to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add shredded carrots, green and red peppers, chopped celery, Tabasco sauce and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Garnish each serving with chopped green onions.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
- You may wish to add some low-sodium soy sauce to the soup, use about 2 tablespoons, however it will increase the sodium count.
- You can also use canned black beans to speed up the process.
- Use 2- 15 fluid ounce cans, drained and rinsed.
- Cauliflower florets would also enhance the soup, use about 1 cup of florets.