Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Easy quick appetizer. Make several and freeze them for use at a later time.
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream (low fat is fine)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimento stuffed olive
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 5 flour tortillas
- Beat cream cheese and sour cream until well blended.
- Stir in Monterey Jack cheese, olives, onion, salt, and garlic powder.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Process beans in a food processor until smooth.
- Spread each tortilla with a thin layer of beans.
- Spread layer of cream cheese mixture over beans.
- Roll up tightly, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Cut into 3/4 inch slices (on a bias?).
- Serve with salsa.
I've actually made this about five times already because my kids who are vegetarians love it! Easy to make ahead and travels well. Be sure to serve with salsa - that adds the perfect touch
This is my second review of these. While I had some problems with the exection last time, these were too good not to try again. This time, I used black bean soup instead of plain beans, which I drained, but not completely. This solved the dry bean problem for me. Then I discovered when rolling them up that if I put a thin layer of beans all over the tortilla, then a layer of cheese on only half of it, but then roll it cheese half first, the cheese gets pushed along, the whole thing gets filled, but you have a firmer roll that is easier to cut. Did I explain that right? These are wonderful and my guests loved them!
These are a great summertime or anytime treat! I made the recipe as stated, but omitted the red onions, and I used whole wheat tortillas. Yum! Everyone really enjoyed them. My mother asked if she could take the two leftover rolls home to serve her Bible study group. Thanks for sharing this!