Recipe by Barb G.
A good southwestern meatlesss entree with decreased amount of cheese and increased herbs.
Top Review by lurcher
Very tasty! I fiddled with some of the ingredients, but stuck to the recipe for the most part. I used 1 can of black beans and 1 of red kidney beans, and no green onion. Also used jalapeno pepper jack shredded cheese instead of cheddar. And chili powder instead of just cumin.
Yes, it does come out a little messy, but the flavor is excellent and it is very filling. I think the key is reducing the veg mixture quite a bit before filling the pie.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, garlic, cumin and pepper in oil.
- Add beans and the broth; bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup.
- Stir in corn and green onions; remove from heat.
- Place 1 tortilla in a 9-inch spring-form pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer with 1 1/2 cups bean mixture and 1/4 cup cheese; REPEAT layers twice; top with remaining tortilla.
- Place pan on a baking sheet; bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove sides of pan; sprinkle with remaining cheese; cut into wedges, enjoy.