Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a low fat, vegetarian meal that is not tasteless or bland. Give it a try for something different.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 3⁄4 cup picante sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded low-fat monterey jack cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- green onion, sliced (optional)
- pitted ripe olives, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- In a large skillet combine onion, green chilis, undrained tomatoes, Picante sauce, garlic and cumin.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans.
- In 13x9x2 inch baking dish spread 1/3 of bean mixture over bottom.
- Top with 1/2 of tortillas, overlapping if necessary, and 1/2 of the cheese.
- Add another 1/3 of the bean mixture, then remaining tortillas and remaining bean mixture.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and return to oven until cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- If desired, top with tomato slices, green onions and olives.
- Cut into squares and serve with sour cream or yogurt.
Wonderful! I loved it! I layered in the olives and added some jarred jalapeno slices. Topped the finished product with some shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and Mom's Salsa. This is a delicious vegetarian meal. Thanks for sharing, texasjj! **Made for I Recommend**
I've made this many times for potlucks because it is a vegetarian meal and also just plain ol' delicious! We top our servings with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce instead of the yogurt or sour cream recommended here. Either would be fine and just gives a bit more personal touch depending on taste buds.
This was a hit at a potluck meeting that I hosted last night. A great filling vegetarian offering that is really easy to toss together. I wanted to post a picture, but it disappeared! Thank you Jackie!