1/5 Photos of Black Bean-Tomato Soup With Cilantro-Lime Cream
wicked cook 46's Note:
From Cooking Light. This was one of the first black bean soups I made and we all enjoyed it very much. I used an immersion blender right in the pot. Timings are approximate
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 center-cut bacon, slices chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp.
- 2Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan; set bacon aside.
- 3Add onion and celery to pan; cook 5 minutes or until celery is tender.
- 4Stir in 3/4 teaspoon cumin, chile powder, and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- 5Stir in bacon, pepper, beans, tomatoes, and broth; bring to a boil.
- 6Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- 7Place half of bean mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters).
- 8Blend until smooth.
- 9Pour into a large bowl.
- 10Repeat procedure with remaining bean mixture; process until smooth. Keep warm.
- 11Combine sour cream, remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin, cilantro, rind, and juice in a small bowl. Drizzle cream over soup.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean-Tomato Soup With Cilantro-Lime Cream
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.6
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 5.9 mg
- Sodium 24.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth