Recipe by Juenessa
Quinoa (pronounced "keen-wa" ) is a a fast-cooking, protein-packed whole grain. This is a healthy and great tasting dish. Also, it is great for adding extras like avocado, corn, bell peppers or whatever you have on-hand that sounds good.
Top Review by Rita~
Excellent! I loved this. I did omit the butter and sugar didn`t miss them at all. Avocado and garlic would be great in this. Enjoyed room temperature and chilled enjoyed room temp more. Thank you bunches!
- 9.85 ml grated lime zest
- 29.58 ml fresh lime juice
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml quinoa
- 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together lime zest and juice, butter, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
- Wash quinoa in 3 changes of cold water in a bowl, draining in a sieve each time.
- Cook quinoa in a medium pot of boiling salted water (1 tablespoon salt for 2 quarts water), uncovered, until almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain in sieve, then set sieve in same pot with 1 inch of simmering water (water should not touch bottom of sieve).
- Cover quinoa with a folded kitchen towel, then cover sieve with a lid (don't worry if lid doesn't fit tightly) and steam over medium heat until tender, fluffy, and dry, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and remove lid.
- Let stand, still covered with towel, 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.