1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Jeff's Girl Way Out West's Note:
A friend of mine surprised us with this for dinner one night. She just delivered it to our door. I knew I had to have the recipe. It's such a different entree. Vegetarian and yet SO hardy! The instructions are long, but the process isn't. Don't let the length of the recipe scare you out of a delightful and interesting meal! Be sure to use your food processor to save some time!
My Private Note
large t ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into bits
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 4 (14 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 10 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 -3 fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped (and seeded) (optional)
Lime Sour Cream
- 1For crust:.
- 2In a bowl, with a pastry blender, or in a food processor, blend or pulse together flour, spices and salt until combined well.
- 3Add butter and blend until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 4Add ice water and blend until incorporated and mixture forms a dough.
- 5Press dough evenly onto the bottom of a 10-inch tart pan with a removeable fluted rim (I use my springform pan) and chill 15 minutes until firm.
- 6With a fork, prick entire crust many times.
- 7Bake crust in middle of oven 20 minutes or until golden.
- 8Cool crust in pan on wire rack.
- 9Crust may be made 1 day ahead and kept at room temp, covered loosely with plastic wrap.
- 10For filling:.
- 11In a food processor, puree 1 can beans with sour cream until smooth.
- 12Season with salt and pepper.
- 13In a skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat until hot (but not smoking), and saute onion until clear.
- 14Add corn, salt and pepper to taste, and heat throughout.
- 15Stir in remaining 3 cans beans, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos and cheese.
- 16Remove from heat.
- 17Spread bean puree evenly onto crust and mound with remaining filling, pressing gently.
- 18Bake tart in middle of oven about 20 minutes, or until hot and cheese is melted.
- 19Let tart cool in pan on a rack 15 minutes.
- 20**Edited to reflect review** - Place springform pan on serving platter or cookie sheet (large enough to accomodate some spreading of tart and filling.).
- 21Carefully remove rim of springform pan, slice tart and garnish individual servings with lime sour cream and, if desired, cilantro sprigs.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Tart With Chili Crust
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.3
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 50.6 mg
- Sodium 293.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 18.0 g