Recipe by Sherri35
This recipe came from Cooking Light magazine. Even though it has a lot of ingredients, it's still quick and easy to pull together for a weeknight meal.
Top Review by RugratMommy
Absolutely delicious!! I have made this recipe many times for my family and also for parties and everyone loves it! It is light, but surprisingly filling and I usually serve it by itself with just fruit for dessert for my family. I've found that if you mix the dressing with the salad and then serve, it is enough dressing as written , but if I ever serve the salad to individuals and let them put on the dressing, I double the dressing recipe. After making it several times, I have added a few twists to suit my taste, but it is great as is. I usually add about 1 cup of cooked sweet corn, 2 diced avocados, and substitute red pepper for the green pepper. I also always add seeded diced tomato to the salad and use about half of the lettuce amount( only because it makes it a little easier to mix everything together). I have made it with chicken or without and it's great either way. Just FYI, I use Tostitos Artisan Recipes Roasted Garlic and Black Bean tortilla chips to pile the salad on - they are the perfect complement to the flavors of the salad. In short, this is a delicious, versatile recipe that I would highly recommend to anyone, especially when great produce is in season.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 8 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare vinaigrette: combine first 11 ingredients in a blender or food processor, process until smooth.
- To prepare salad: combine lettuce and remaining ingredients except chips in a large bowl.
- Add vinaigrette; toss well to coat.
- Serve with chips.
- Note: to prepare vinaigrette without a food processor, just crush the garlic clove and vigorously whisk it and all the other ingredients together.
- This is what I do.