Rich in flavour and texture, and very yummy when you want something satisfying to fill you up without fattening you up. Based in part on an African bean soup recipe. This is one of my favourites because the spices combine to make a special flavour that I can't put my finger on (in other words, I don't think gee, lots of garlic in that).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 2 tablespoons onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (19 fluid ounce) can black beans
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut butter, softened in a couple TBSP warm water
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Prep sweet potato, onion, garlic and red pepper.
- Heat oil, curry powder and cinnamon together in a large pot, stirring until hot.
- Add cubed sweet potato, onion, garlic, red pepper and paprika. Cook about 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add beans, warm water and softened peanut butter. Stir well.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes (until sweet potato is tender), stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat.
- Add lime juice, brown sugar and salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly.
- Serve and enjoy!