Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Rich in flavour and texture, and very yummy when you want something satisfying to fill you up without fattening you up. Based in part on an African bean soup recipe. This is one of my favourites because the spices combine to make a special flavour that I can't put my finger on (in other words, I don't think gee, lots of garlic in that).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 2 tablespoons onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (19 fluid ounce) can black beans
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut butter, softened in a couple TBSP warm water
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Prep sweet potato, onion, garlic and red pepper.
- Heat oil, curry powder and cinnamon together in a large pot, stirring until hot.
- Add cubed sweet potato, onion, garlic, red pepper and paprika. Cook about 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add beans, warm water and softened peanut butter. Stir well.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes (until sweet potato is tender), stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat.
- Add lime juice, brown sugar and salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly.
- Serve and enjoy!
Added extra garlic, extra peanut butter and about a tsp of crushed red pepper. It needed some spice and came out pretty good! Better than we thought.
One of my favorite meals ever! So easy to make and it is so delicious and filling! I was amazed by the low calories too! Love it!
This recipe was delicious! I used green pepper instead of red, and I added a whole onion to the pot for 4 servings. I added two extra cloves of garlic, as well. Other than that, I followed the directions step by step; and wow! -- wonderful recipe. Next time I might add some roughly chopped peanuts, but you certainly don't need them. I found the recipe quite satisfying texture-wise without them. Perfect for vegans. Thanks so much.