A nice, colorful picnic or buffet salad. Cook time is chill time.
Make and share this Black Bean Sunshine Pasta Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces tri-color spiral pasta, uncooked
- 10 ounces frozen peas and carrots
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks in juice, drain and reserve 1/2 cup juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced thin and cut each slice into 3 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large oranges, peeled & sectioned (cut sections into 3 pieces each)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions for the minimum cooking time.
- Place peas and carrots in a colander.
- When pasta is done, pour into the colander over peas and carrots. ( the hot water will cook the vegetables slightly.) Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add pineapple , beans, bell pepper, onions, and orange sections. Toss to combine.
- Combine reserved pineapple juice and remaining ingredients. Mix well. Taste to adjust vinegar and salt and pepper. Pour over pasta mixture. Mix gently until well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight (8 hours). Mix a few times while chilling.
I enjoyed this healthy, "no mayo" salad. It is easy to make and has nice flavor. Love all the color in the salad too. Fresh ground pepper and Kosher salt was used to season the salad to taste. Made for Please Review My Recipe
Gorgeous salad! I love how colorful this is and how it is full of good for you ingredients. I made as stated, except left out the onion (personal preference, don't care for it), and it had a great flavor. This will go on my regular lunch rotation! Made for PAC Spring 2011.
I've really never cared for the texture of frozen carrots, so diced up some baby carrots & let them sit in some boiling water (along with the thawed frozen peas) for a minute or two, then proceeded on with the recipe! I did use lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P, but otherwise stuck with what was listed & we had A VERY, VERY NICE TASTING PASTA SALAD! I particularly enjoyed the inclusion of the pineapple & oranges ~ Great touch! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe}