Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
A very hearty burrito
- 5 piece bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 226.79 g mushroom, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g fresh spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- 236.59 ml canned black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 4.92 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 177.44 ml grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 118.29 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 236.59 ml mild enchilada sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inch)
- Cook bacon in heavy skillet, crumble and set aside.
- In bacon oil, cook onion and mushrooms over moderate heat, stirring, until golden.
- Add spinach and garlic and cook, until wilted.
- Stir in water, beans, lemon juice, scallions, pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon and salt to taste.
- Cook, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Heat tortillas in oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Place a few tablespoons of filling in center of burrito, fold sides and roll.
- Place 1/2 enchilada sauce in bottom of a glass pan. Place rolled burritos in pan and place 1/2 enchilada sauce over them.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
These were nice. I made them vegetarian by skipping the bacon (though I seasoned with bacon salt, which is vegetarian). I cut the spinach way back to 7 oz - the full 16 oz would have been a ton! Otherwise made as written, using whole wheat tortillas and adding a sprinkle of extra cheddar on top. Thanks for the recipe!
I made these basically as stated. I have bacon grease in the fridge, so I used that to cook the onion/mushrooms in and didn't add any actual bacon. I also just eyeballed it on all of the veggies and didn't go with exact measurements. Just wanted to make enough to fill the tortillas. I also added some taco seasoning to the filling and then, instead of flour tortillas, I used all the leftover tortillas I had in the fridge (a combo of whole wheat, multigrain and low carb). I'm sure if I had followed the recipe EXACTLY it would have turned out great, but my few variations were great as well. YUM!