Recipe by Valerie in Florida
A very hearty burrito
Top Review by flower7
These were nice. I made them vegetarian by skipping the bacon (though I seasoned with bacon salt, which is vegetarian). I cut the spinach way back to 7 oz - the full 16 oz would have been a ton! Otherwise made as written, using whole wheat tortillas and adding a sprinkle of extra cheddar on top. Thanks for the recipe!
- 5 pieces bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mild enchilada sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in heavy skillet, crumble and set aside.
- In bacon oil, cook onion and mushrooms over moderate heat, stirring, until golden.
- Add spinach and garlic and cook, until wilted.
- Stir in water, beans, lemon juice, scallions, pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon and salt to taste.
- Cook, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Heat tortillas in oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Place a few tablespoons of filling in center of burrito, fold sides and roll.
- Place 1/2 enchilada sauce in bottom of a glass pan. Place rolled burritos in pan and place 1/2 enchilada sauce over them.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.