Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in the "Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook". It's a great vegetarian recipe that even my 2 year old loves. Serve with a salad and garlic bread. You won't miss the meat!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) packagedried spaghetti or 1 (12 ounce) package angel hair pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Saute first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until tender.
- Add beans and next 5 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain well.
- Place spaghetti on serving platter; top with tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
I'm so glad I found this recipe! I was skeptical at first, but you're absolutely right; we didn't even miss the meat! Made as directed except I left out the mushrooms because they didn't look good at the store. We'll try them next time. Tonight I served with a green salad & cracked wheat sourdough rolls, spread with a garlic butter mixture & broiled. With ingredients that are always on hand & not requiring meat, this is a definite go-to recipe for late nights or when nothing is thawed. :) Thanks for sharing, Gapeach! Made for Adopt-A-Tag Fall 2009.
I've had my eye on this recipe for awhile and am SO glad I got around to making it! I made a few minor changes in my prep. I sauteed the onion, peppers (orange and green) first, adding the garlic at the end. I sauteed the mushrooms separately since I am the only "mushroom lover" in my family. I served the veggies on top of the black bean mixture instead of mixing in with the bean mixture (in case the veggies didn't go over with my son!). I grated some feta on top instead of parmesan. We all loved this dish and will be making it often. Everything combined was a wonderful taste sensation and beautiful to the eyes. Thanks Gapeach. Your child is showing some great food taste! Roxygirl