I found this recipe in the "Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook". It's a great vegetarian recipe that even my 2 year old loves. Serve with a salad and garlic bread. You won't miss the meat!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) packagedried spaghetti or 1 (12 ounce) package angel hair pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Saute first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until tender.
- Add beans and next 5 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain well.
- Place spaghetti on serving platter; top with tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.