Recipe by breezermom
Vegetarian Spaghetti....I use angel hair pasta, personal preference. I've served this using two cans of black beans, but I prefer the mix of cannellini and black beans, although the contrast is better with the black beans.
Top Review by ElizabethKnicely
This was really good. My husband thought it was dry, but my 3 kids and I loved it. Next time I make this I will use undrained tomatoes to give it a little sauce. Thank you breezermom. Made for Went To The Market tag game.
- 1 (12 ounce) package angel hair pasta
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) jar capers, undrained
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small red sweet bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow sweet bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup ripe olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain well. Set aside, and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, drain the capers, reserving 1 1/2 tbsp liquid. Set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, cook the onion and the next 3 ingredients in oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Just as the veggies are getting tender, add the garlic, stirring constantly for 45 more seconds.
- Add the reserved capers and liquid, tomatoes, and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring the mixture occasionally.
- Remove the pasta to a serving platter. Spoon the tomato/veggie mix over the pasta. Sprinkle with cheese.