3 hrs 15 mins
My Food Coach's Note:
This recipe, with a few minor modifications, is from the Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library, "Beans & Rice."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces dried black beans
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped fine
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Place beans in bowl, cover with plenty of water, and soak overnight. Drain beans after soaking and place in large pot.
- 2In a medium-size sauce pan heat olive oil. Add yellow onion and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add garlic, cumin and chili powder.
- 4Add onion mixture to black beans.
- 5Add chicken broth and water to black beans.
- 6Uncovered, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and gently simmer for about 3 hours.
- 7Meanwhile, make salsa, stirring the last 6 ingredients together. Set aside.
- 8When soup is ready, ladle into individual bowls and garnish with a spoonful of salsa.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Soup With Tomato Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.9
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 483.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 20.5 g