Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe, with a few minor modifications, is from the Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library, "Beans & Rice."
- 16 ounces dried black beans
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped fine
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 fresh lime juice
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- Place beans in bowl, cover with plenty of water, and soak overnight. Drain beans after soaking and place in large pot.
- In a medium-size sauce pan heat olive oil. Add yellow onion and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin and chili powder.
- Add onion mixture to black beans.
- Add chicken broth and water to black beans.
- Uncovered, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and gently simmer for about 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, make salsa, stirring the last 6 ingredients together. Set aside.
- When soup is ready, ladle into individual bowls and garnish with a spoonful of salsa.