Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A simple and exotic soup served with a dollop of sour cream and lime wedges.
Make and share this Black Bean Soup With Sweet Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight (or 2 1/2-3 cups canned black beans)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- sour cream
- lime wedge, for serving
- Heat oil in large dutch oven or stock pot. Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add balance of ingredients except the sweet potatoes. Simmer until beans are soft, about 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and continue to simmer until potatoes are tender (do not overcook sweet potatoes, they'll turn to mush) :-)
- Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and a lime wedge squeezed over the top.
I made this last night and it was so quick and easy and delicious!! I used 2 cans of Trader Joe's black beans, so it only took about 20 minutes to cook. I let it sit on the stove on warm for about 45 minutes total, and it was fantastic. Will definitely make again!!
Nice and filling..... and healthy, too! I made this as written using canned black beans (3 cups). This was super tasty, but I felt it was too liquidy. I think 6 cups of broth was way too much for the recipe. Next time I would decrease the broth and/or maybe puree some of the soup. I garnished with sour cream, cilantro and the lime juice. Yummy! Thanx for sharing!
My whole family liked this soup a lot. I used canned beans, and left out the corainder (beacuse I didn't have any). I did add a can of diced tomatoes.