Recipe by Mrs. Hughes
This is from All You magazine. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious. Instead of black beans you can try navy beans, red kidney beans, or black-eyed peas (or a mix). You can add a cup of yellow corn, a can of diced chiles or chopped jarred pimientos just before the end of cooking time for a shot of color and flavor, or sprinkle in a few drops of hot sauce. Also, instead of sausage, you could stir in cut-up leftover ham, chicken or beef. Or try chicken or turkey sausage. Per serving: 635 Calories, 11g fat (3g Sat.), 21mg Chol., 29g Fiber, 38g Pro., 101g Carb., 1025mg Sod.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces hot Italian sausage links
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Combine onion mixture, beans (with their liquid), salsa and chicken broth in a slow cooker.
- Stir well and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Stir sausages into bean mixture in slow cooker and cook for 1 hour longer.
- Using tongs, remove sausages to a cutting board, cut into bite size pieces and then return to slow cooker.
- Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup hot in bowls, with chopped avocado and a dollop of sour cream on top, if desired.