6 hrs 5 mins
Mrs. Hughes's Note:
This is from All You magazine. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious. Instead of black beans you can try navy beans, red kidney beans, or black-eyed peas (or a mix). You can add a cup of yellow corn, a can of diced chiles or chopped jarred pimientos just before the end of cooking time for a shot of color and flavor, or sprinkle in a few drops of hot sauce. Also, instead of sausage, you could stir in cut-up leftover ham, chicken or beef. Or try chicken or turkey sausage. Per serving: 635 Calories, 11g fat (3g Sat.), 21mg Chol., 29g Fiber, 38g Pro., 101g Carb., 1025mg Sod.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Warm oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3Combine onion mixture, beans (with their liquid), salsa and chicken broth in a slow cooker.
- 4Stir well and cook on low for 5 hours.
- 5Stir sausages into bean mixture in slow cooker and cook for 1 hour longer.
- 6Using tongs, remove sausages to a cutting board, cut into bite size pieces and then return to slow cooker.
- 7Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- 8Serve soup hot in bowls, with chopped avocado and a dollop of sour cream on top, if desired.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Soup With Sausage (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.2
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 8.0 mg
- Sodium 682.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 14.4 g