Recipe by ThinkAndDrive
A slight adaptation of Rachael Ray's recipe from Express Lane Meals. Just about everything in this book is great and easy.
- 5 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper
- 20 -25 medium shrimp
- 28 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 20 ounces stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Sweat the onions and half of the garlic in two tablespoons of the olive oil. Toss in the Cumin, Chile Powder, and Salt and Pepper. Cook for about three minutes on medium-high heat.
- Peel, devein, and rinse the shrimp. Zest and juice the limes into a bowl and add the rest of the olive oil and garlic. Add the red pepper flakes to the bowl. Toss the shrimp in and allow to marinade.
- Add the black beans to the onion mixture and mash about half of them. Add the tomatoes, Tobasco, veggie broth, and half and half. Stir until well mixed. Allow to come to a bubble and then lower the heat to simmer. Let the soup simmer for about 12 minutes.
- In the mean time, cook the shrimp on both sides in a pan (no oil or butter) about two to three minutes a side. After you flip the shrimp, pour in the lime juice mixture to the pan to help "steam" the shrimp. You be the judge on when they're fully cooked.
- Ladle out the soup into a bowl and add five shrimp to the bowl. You can add more salt or pepper to taste.