Recipe by English_Rose
The drizzle of spicy orange colored pepper cream looks spectaular on the black bean soup and tastes just as good!
- 2 red peppers, halved, seeds removed
- olive oil, for rubbing
- 1⁄2 red chili pepper, preferably scotch bonnet, seeds removed, chopped
- 1⁄2 lime, juice only
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
For the soup
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cream: preheat the oven to 350°F Brush the peppers with olive oil inside and out and roast for about 30 minutes, or until completely soft. Put the peppers with their cooking juices into a blender with all the other ingredients for the cream. Blend until smooth. Chill until needed.
- For the soup: meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a saucepan over a low-medium heat and add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook gently for a couple of minutes, then add a generous splash of water and cover with a lid. Sweat the vegetables for about 15 minutes, adding a splash of water when necessary to ensure they don’t burn.
- Remove the lid, add the cumin and cook for a minute to release its lovely aroma, then add the broth and beans. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool, then whizz in a blender until smooth.
- Reheat the soup and serve hot with spoonfuls of the cream drizzled on top.