Recipe by Studentchef
This was printed in the Montreal Gazette and can be found in Deborah Madison's Vegetable Soups. I think I'll try it some time soon.
Top Review by UmmBinat
So delicious for DD1 (5 years old), DD2 (15 months) and I. I did use additional home-made stock instead of water and may have reduced the cayenne somewhat. I used organic light tasting extra virgin olive oil, extra organic carrot, a few dashes of celery seeds as I had no celery on hand, no bell pepper, organic garlic cloves, organic cilantro (fresh coriander), sea salt, to taste, the larger amount of cumin, sweet paprika as that is all I had, Eden brand organic black beans, organic yogurt in place of sour cream to be corn free, freshly squeezed lemon juice lemon juice instead of lime as that is what I also had on hand, plus the rest of the ingredients. I would make this again. Made for Healthy Choices Tag Game 2013.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, leaves and stems chopped separately
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika (Spanish smoked paprika being preferred in this recipe)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup water
- 2 (19 ounce) cans black beans, draind
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in medium heavy frying pan over medium high heat and cook onion, carrots, celery, green pepper, garlic, and coriander stems until onion begins to soften.
- Season with salt, cumin, parika, bay leaves, and cayenne. Lower heat and cook ten minutes more, stirring occasionally and taking care paprika and cayenne do not burn.
- Add water and continue to cook until onion is soft, about eight minutes. Stir in beans and all but 3 tablespoons of the chopped coriander leaves and heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- In a cup, combine sour cream, lime juice, and remaining chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve soup hot in heated bowls, topping each serving with sour cream mixture.