Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found this year's ago in a friend's cook book. (New York Times?) Delicious, freezes and reheats beautifully. i prefer chopped coriander to the green onion garnish. i also prefer to toast my cumin seed before adding to this recipe. Serve with grainy bread and you have a complete protein and a dandy cleanser for your innards. Sour cream or Greek yogurt makes a nice topper, too.
- 1 cup black beans (soaked)
- 7 cups broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- Cook pre-soaked beans in stock for 2- 3 hours.
- Saute veggies and add with spices to stock and beans.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with garnish.