Recipe by Nic
The best thing about this soup, apart from the delicious taste, is that it's so easy and quick to make. Please serve it with the Cilantro Cream - it's like the icing on the cake! You can make this soup for a vegetarian, just leave out the bacon and use vegetable stock - this is how I make it for my husband and it's still delicious. This recipe has been adapted from a leaflet I found in a supermarket, promoting Sonoma dried tomato halves.
- 118.29 ml sun-dried tomato
- 236.59 ml boiling water
- 4 slice bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 425 g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 396.89 g chicken stock or 396.89 g vegetable stock
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh cilantro leaves (coriander)
- 59.14 ml sour cream or 59.14 ml creme fraiche
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh cilantro leaves (coriander)
- 2.46 ml ground coriander, spice
- 22.18 ml fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the sun dried tomatoes and 1 cup boiling water in a small bowl. Make sure the tomatoes are covered and let stand until the tomatoes are soft. Drain, reserving the liquid, and then chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the bacon and onion until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes, tomato liquid, beans, chicken or vegetable stock, garlic, cumin and hot pepper sauce. Mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for five minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro (coriander) leaves.
- Blend with a stick blender (or in batches in the blender or food processor) until smooth. Return to the saucepan and heat gently before serving.
- To make the coriander cream: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and drizzle with the Cilantro Cream. You may garnish with some more chopped cilantro (coriander) if you wish.
- Notes: I have made this using my own oven dried cherry tomatoes and I usually save half a cup of the soup which does not get blended to give a bit more texture when added at the end.