Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A dollop of yogurt adds a creamy richness and cuts the heat of the chiles.
Make and share this Black Bean Soup With Chipotle Chiles recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can dried black beans
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotle chile, canned*
- 7 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup plum tomato, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and both bell peppers and sauté until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; stir 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to 6-quart slow cooker. Add beans and chipotles, then 7 cups hot water. Cover and cook on high until beans are very tender, about 6 hours.
- Transfer 2 cups bean mixture to blender; puree until smooth. Return puree to remaining soup in slow cooker. Stir in lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Spoon dollop of yogurt into each bowl. Sprinkle with tomatoes and cilantro and serve.
- *Chipotle chiles canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets and many supermarkets.