Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is a lighter soup,from cooking light, and i do like to garnish it with baked tortilla strips and crema.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml diced celery
- 118.29 ml minced onion
- 59.14 ml diced green bell pepper
- 44.37 ml chopped carrots
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 473.18 ml vegetable broth
- 236.59 ml water
- 3 (1275.72 g) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- sliced green onion (optional)
- corn tortilla strips (to garnish) (optional) or chips (to garnish) (optional)
- crema (to garnish) (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add celery, minced onion, bell pepper, and carrot. Cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and the next 4 ingredients (through black pepper); sauté 3 minutes.
- Add broth, water, and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Place half of soup in a blender, and process until smooth. Pour into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.
YUMMY!!! I am on a strict cleansing diet and this hit the spot!!! I only pureed half of the soup because I like the texture of whole beans in my soup. Otherwise followed the recipe and it was great! Making a double batch tonight!
Warm, tasty soup! I made this as written, with green onions as garnish. It's not as "acidic" as the black bean soups with tomatoes, but it still has ample spiciness. Bonus for being lowfat and healthy! Woo-Hoo! Thanx for a yummy soup!
Delicious and healthy. Some like it hot, and so I added two pinches of cayenne pepper and two squirts of tabasco. I used an immersion blender to blend the soup. It's a handheld "stick" of a blender that you submerge in the soup and blend it. Faster and easier to cleanup than a blender. I use soups like this one to rationalize the purchase!